Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Scripture

Today's scripture mastery verse comes from 2 Timothy 3:16-17:

 16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
 17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
This verse ties in very well to the 8th Article of Faith, which I wrote about here, as well as the 9th Article of Faith, which I wrote about here.  We are unique among the Christian sects in that we don't believe that the scripture cannon is closed. 

This fits in very well with what we learn in Hebrews 13:8, that Jesus is "the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever."  Because He does not change, He still wishes to reveal to us (when we are ready) new things that will be for our benefit.  We learn in 2 Nephi 29:9 that He has promised to give us more scripture:
 And I do this that I may prove unto many that I am the same yesterday, today, and forever; and that I speak forth my words according to mine own pleasure. And because that I have spoken one word ye need not suppose that I cannot speak another; for my work is not yet finished; neither shall it be until the end of man, neither from that time henceforth and forever.
We often read in the scriptures that we must ask, and we will receive.  Many important scriptures have been given, because the prophets have followed that council.  They have been pondering a particular problem, and the Lord has then revealed to them additional scripture.  This is how we received the important revelations such as the Word of Wisdom, and that the priesthood can now be held by all worthy male members of the church.

I believe that we will continue to receive additional scripture that will benefit mankind.  God wants us all to come to Him, learn of Him, and be happy.  If we read and ponder the scriptures, we can know those things that will bring us closer to God, and help us avoid those things that will bring misery in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment