Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Escaping Temptation

1 Corinthians 10:13 is today's scripture mastery.

13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
I really like this promise!  I often feel very tempted, so this promise that God will not let me be tempted more than I am able to withstand is very helpful to me.  It gives me strength to try harder, and to pick myself up when I do fall in to temptation.  It helps me to repent, and to do my best to help those around me as well.

The other part of this verse that I like is the first part that says "no temptation...but such as is common to man."  In other words, the temptations that we each face are and have been faced by mankind since the beginning.  Satan knows how to tempt us, but God knows our limits, and protects us from Satan overcoming us.  We can overcome, with Christ's help!

In our church we often hear that this life is a test.  We don't expect to have an easy life.  We may not enjoy the challenges that we are given.  We may experience a lot of heartache and pain while here on earth.  God doesn't give us a test that He knows that we will not be able to pass however.  He sincerely loves each of us, and wants us to be able to return to Him.  He knows how to give us those things that He knows that we need--and in most cases we don't know why we have to go through the trials that we do until long after we have gone through them.

If we endure through this life, and remain faithful, we will receive the rest from the trials and troubles that we have suffered through.  Doctrine and Covenants 72:4 tells us:
For he who is faithful and wise in time is accounted worthy to inherit the mansions prepared for him of my Father.
Just because we have been promised that we won't be tempted more than we can withstand doesn't mean that we should go looking for sin.  We should avoid temptation as much as we possibly can.  The less we have to repent because of sin, the better off we will be.

Christ himself taught that we should repent of our sins with these words (Doctrine and Covenants 19:16-20)
 16 For behold, I, God, have suffered these things for all, that they might not suffer if they would repent;
 17 But if they would not repent they must suffer even as I;
 18 Which suffering caused myself, even God, the greatest of all, to tremble because of pain, and to bleed at every pore, and to suffer both body and spirit—and would that I might not drink the bitter cup, and shrink—
 19 Nevertheless, glory be to the Father, and I partook and finished my preparations unto the children of men.
 20 Wherefore, I command you again to repent, lest I humble you with my almighty power; and that you confess your sins, lest you suffer these punishments of which I have spoken, of which in the smallest, yea, even in the least degree you have tasted at the time I withdrew my Spirit.
Don't suffer more than is needful!  Christ has already suffered for, and paid for our sins!  All we need to do is to repent from our sins, and by His grace, we won't have to suffer for them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment