Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Article of Faith #8

In this Article of Faith, #8, we talk about the truthfulness of both the Holy Bible, as well as the Book of Mormon:

We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.
There are many, who are not a member of our church that seem to take offense to this one for some reason. . .It is almost seems as if they think that we are trying to push down the importance of the Holy Bible.  But that is not the case.  As this article of faith states, we believe it to be the word of God.  We study the Holy Bible, and believe it to contain many of the truths of the gospel.  It teaches us of Christ, and how important (how essential) He is for our salvation.  The same goes for the Book of Mormon.  It also contains the teachings of and about Christ.

Both books of holy scripture support and strengthen each other, and teach us those things that we need to know and do to return to live with our Heavenly Father after this life.

For those who don't know about the Book of Mormon--it is another testament of Jesus Christ.  It was written by prophets who lived anciently in the American continents.  They lived here for many hundreds of years before Christ was born in Bethlehem.  We learn from the Book of Mormon what they taught about Christ from that time, until about 400 years after Christ was crucified, and was resurrected.   Here is one of my favorite scriptures found in the Book of Mormon.  It is found in 2 Nephi 25:26

I am very grateful to have both books of scripture.  I love to read from the pages of both.  I love to learn about my Savior, Jesus Christ.  I feel His love when I read from both the Bible and the Book of Mormon.  (I feel His love even more though when I try and actually DO what I learn that Christ wants us to do, and is found within the pages of both).

2 comments:

  1. To be fair and truthful we do hear over the pulpit a lot more about the Book of Mormon than the Bible as well as more emphasis on reading it over and over again; but we also rotate Sunday School class study: One year: Old Testament, the next: New Testament, next: Doctrine and Covenants, then Book of Mormon. I remember Church History used to rotate with these as well and perhaps will again sometime in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed with your study and pondering. I can quote most of these, but have never taken time to think about what they say. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete