Thursday, November 24, 2011

Give Thanks!

With today being Thanksgiving, I decided to give my thoughts on one of my favorite verses about being thankful.  These verses are not one of the scripture mastery verses, but they teach us some very important things about being thankful.  The verses I chose today are found in Doctrine and Covenants 59:15-21
15 And inasmuch as ye do these things with thanksgiving, with cheerful hearts and countenances, not with much laughter, for this is sin, but with a glad heart and a cheerful countenance—
16 Verily I say, that inasmuch as ye do this, the fulness of the earth is yours, the beasts of the field and the fowls of the air, and that which climbeth upon the trees and walketh upon the earth;
17 Yea, and the herb, and the good things which come of the earth, whether for food or for raiment, or for houses, or for barns, or for orchards, or for gardens, or for vineyards;
18 Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season thereof, are made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and to gladden the heart;
19 Yea, for food and for raiment, for taste and for smell, to strengthen the body and to enliven the soul.
20 And it pleaseth God that he hath given all these things unto man; for unto this end were they made to be used, with judgment, not to excess, neither by extortion.
21 And in nothing doth man offend God, or against none is his wrath kindled, save those who confess not his hand in all things, and obey not his commandments.
These verses teach us what the many blessings that are associated with keeping the sabbath  day holy.  Though the many blessings that it refers to are things that we should be grateful for all year long.  These and many other blessings are what I am thankful for, and wish to express my gratitude to God for them.

I also wish to express my gratitude for my family.  I am very grateful for my wonderful wife, and my children.  I am grateful for my parents, for my brothers and sisters.  I am grateful for my in-laws.  I am very grateful for the chance that I have to be on the earth at this wonderful time.  I am especially grateful for the restored gospel.  The knowledge that I have of the atonement of the Savior, and the chance that I have to repent of my many sins is perhaps the greatest blessing that I have to be thankful for.

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment