Monday, October 31, 2011

I am not ashamed

Today's scripture mastery verse is from the letter of Paul written to the Romans.  It is found in Romans 1:16
 16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
This is what we feel when we are truly converted.  I struggle with this at times.  It is not easy to "open your mouth"(Doctrine and Covenants 33:8-10) and share the gospel when we fear what others will think and say about us, or what they may do.  We must learn to overcome that fear (FYI, this blog is my attempt to do just that in my own life. . .)

I like this promise found in 1 John 4:18
 18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
This is something I believe that even the apostle Peter struggled with.  Jesus taught him personally to overcome that fear by telling him this: (John 21: 15-17)
 15 So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.
 16 He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
 17 He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
 If we have a perfect love for God, and for our fellow man, we will have a desire to feed Christ's sheep (i.e. share the gospel, and lift and help each other)

1 comment: