Thursday, October 27, 2011

Christ's Other Sheep

Today's scripture mastery is John 10:16.  It reads:
16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.
Christ often referred to Himself as a shepherd, and the people who hear his voice and obey Him, as his sheep.   So, what did Christ mean when he said to his apostles that he had "other sheep"?  The answer to that was given to the Nephites in the Book of Mormon when Christ was visiting and teaching them (3 Nephi 15:21-24)
 21 And verily I say unto you, that ye are they of whom I said: Other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.
 22 And they understood me not, for they supposed it had been the Gentiles; for they understood not that the Gentiles should be converted through their preaching.
 23 And they understood me not that I said they shall hear my voice; and they understood me not that the Gentiles should not at any time hear my voice—that I should not manifest myself unto them save it were by the Holy Ghost.
 24 But behold, ye have both heard my voice, and seen me; and ye are my sheep, and ye are numbered among those whom the Father hath given me.
One of the reasons I like these verses, is that it shows that Christ wants all to come to Him.  He wants his gospel preached to all the world.  It is for everyone.  He does not reserve any blessings for any special group, but rather for all those that "hear his voice."  Whether we hear the voice through missionary work, or because we are "of the house of Israel" (meaning his covenant people), and hear his voice, it is the same.

Christ wants all to come to Him.  It is only through Him that any can be saved.  Let's open our (spiritual) ears, and hear!  Let us follow Him and be saved!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE your simple yet profound explanations of the scriptures!

    ReplyDelete