Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Humility

Today's scripture mastery again teaches us something that is difficult for many of us. . .It is about humility (Ether 12:27)
 27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.
In this verse, Christ is teaching Moroni, who was complaining to the Lord that he was not a powerful writer, and he was fearing that people would mock his words.  Christ told him why he gives us each weaknesses--and that is so that we will turn to Christ, and learn to rely on Him.

Why does the Lord want us to be humble?  One of the reasons is that we can be taught when we are humble.  When we are not "full of ourselves" and when we aren't thinking that we know better than the Lord, we are able to hear the promptings of the Holy Ghost.  We can then make the adjustments in our lives that the Lord wants us to make.  I like this verse about humility from the Doctrine and Covenants (D&C 112:10)
 10 Be thou humble; and the Lord thy God shall lead thee by the hand, and give thee answer to thy prayers.
Our weaknesses are a blessing, because they help us realise that we do need the Lord.  This promise from the Lord is a great one--if we humble ourselves because of our weaknesses, and put our faith in Christ, then over time, those same weaknesses will become our strengths! 

No comments:

Post a Comment