Sunday, December 4, 2011

The restoration of the Gospel

Today's scripture mastery comes from Isaiah 29:13-14
 13 Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:
 14 Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid.
Isaiah foretold the "marvelous work and a wonder" (The restoration of the gospel) in these verses.  He knew that it would be needed.  The marvelous work has come, as is stated in Doctrine and Covenants 4:1-2:
Now behold, a marvelous work is about to come forth among the children of men.
 Therefore, O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day.
The gospel has been restored.  It has been restored in a way that makes the "wise and prudent" of the world to stare in disbelief.

I want to focus on the first verse from Isaiah quoted above.  It is important that we "draw near" to God with more than just our mouth.  We need to do more than give "lip service"  We need to let the gospel really enter our hearts, and because of that live the gospel with all our heart, might, mind, and strength.  In order for the gospel to take real effect in our lives, we need to live it--even when others are not around us to see.  The gospel is not just something to live on Sundays while we are in church.  No, the living the gospel needs to be a full lifestyle.  We need to develop a true Christlike love for our fellow man.  We need to live as Alma taught in Mosiah 18:8-9
 And it came to pass that he said unto them: Behold, here are the waters of Mormon (for thus were they called) and now, as ye are desirous to come into the fold of God, and to be called his people, and are willing to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light;
 Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life—
 I am very grateful for the marvelous work and wonder that Christ has brought to us in these days.  I am grateful for the restoration of the gospel.  I am grateful for the opportunity that I have to try and become more Christlike in my life.  I know that I have a VERY long ways to go, but each day, I can do a little better, and do more what I know that I should.

No comments:

Post a Comment