Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Natural Man

After a few days off to spend time with family and enjoy the Christmas Holliday, I am back with the next scripture mastery.  Today's verse is from Mosiah 3:19
 19 For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father.
This verse explains the challenge that we all face in life--we all battle the "natural man"  It is not easy to put off the desires and appetites of the natural man.  The things of the world are things that naturally pull us away from God.  If we are not careful, they can take over our whole thought process.  We can spend every waking hour pursuing those things that "moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal" (Matthew 6:19)

It takes faith and work to overcome the natural man.  As Paul taught in 1 Corinthians 2:14,
14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
It is not easy to overcome the natural man.  In fact, it can sometimes be very very difficult.  However, with the Lord's help, it is definitely possible.  Sister Elaine S. Dalton, in her General Conference address in October 2008 started her talk with this statement:
Last general conference, I was called by President Monson to be the new Young Women general president. As I stood in the presence of a prophet of God and was given this sacred trust, I pledged that I would serve with all my heart, might, mind, and strength. Prior to this calling, I had a small plate inscribed with a motto that read, “I can do hard things.” That little plate bearing that simple motto gave me courage. But now if I could change that motto, it would read: “In the strength of the Lord, I can do all things.” 1 It is on that strength that I rely today as I stand at this sacred pulpit.
I really like that statement.  And it applies to all of us.  "In the strength of the Lord, I can do all things!"  YOU can do all things as well!  Even those hard things, such as putting off the natural man.  Hard things, such as becoming humble, meek, and submissive to the will of the Lord.  Hard things, such as overcoming temptations, and selfishness, and even addictions.  All these and more are possible to overcome with the help of Christ.  Christ taught how we can overcome the natural man in Matthew 11:28-30:
28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
Let us lay our burdens on Christ.  Let us overcome our tendencies to be the natural man, and instead enjoy the fruits of the spirit, and enjoy the rest that Christ offers.


No comments:

Post a Comment