Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The importance of prayer

2 Nephi 32:8-9 is today's scripture mastery.  It comes from the same sermon that Nephi gave to his people in yesterday's scripture mastery:
 And now, my beloved brethren, I perceive that ye ponder still in your hearts; and it grieveth me that I must speak concerning this thing. For if ye would hearken unto the Spirit which teacheth a man to pray, ye would know that ye must pray; for the evil spirit teacheth not a man to pray, but teacheth him that he must not pray.
 But behold, I say unto you that ye must pray always, and not faint; that ye must not perform any thing unto the Lord save in the first place ye shall pray unto the Father in the name of Christ, that he will consecrate thy performance unto thee, that thy performance may be for the welfare of thy soul.
Prayer is one of the most important ways that we have to communicate with God.  Through prayer, we come closer to God, and come to rely on Him.  If we take Nephi's council here, and pray to God before we take any action, we will find that we are helped and led by His hand.

On the other hand, if we do not pray daily, we are doing exactly what the enemy to all righteousness wants us to do. . .Satan is real, and he wants us to be miserable.

Now--it is important that we don't pray to be seen of others.  Christ taught us that in Matthew 6:5:
5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
Christ continued to teach us additional truths about prayer in verses 6-13:
But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.
 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
 10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
 11 Give us this day our daily bread.
 12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
 13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
We are taught that prayer does not have to be spoken, or while on our knees.  In the book of Mosiah, there is a story of some people who were being persecuted for their belief in Christ.  Those that were persecuting them had threatened to kill any who prayed to God.  But they knew that God could hear their thoughts (Mosiah 24:12-13)
 12 And Alma and his people did not raise their voices to the Lord their God, but did pour out their hearts to him; and he did know the thoughts of their hearts.
 13 And it came to pass that the voice of the Lord came to them in their afflictions, saying: Lift up your heads and be of good comfort, for I know of the covenant which ye have made unto me; and I will covenant with my people and deliver them out of bondage.
The prophet Zenos also taught about the importance of prayer (Alma 33:4-11).  He said:
For he said: Thou art merciful, O God, for thou hast heard my prayer, even when I was in the wilderness; yea, thou wast merciful when I prayed concerning those who were mine enemies, and thou didst turn them to me.
 Yea, O God, and thou wast merciful unto me when I did cry unto thee in my field; when I did cry unto thee in my prayer, and thou didst hear me.
 And again, O God, when I did turn to my house thou didst hear me in my prayer.
 And when I did turn unto my closet, O Lord, and prayed unto thee, thou didst hear me.
 Yea, thou art merciful unto thy children when they cry unto thee, to be heard of thee and not of men, and thou wilt hear them.
 Yea, O God, thou hast been merciful unto me, and heard my cries in the midst of thy congregations.
 10 Yea, and thou hast also heard me when I have been cast out and have been despised by mine enemies; yea, thou didst hear my cries, and wast angry with mine enemies, and thou didst visit them in thine anger with speedy destruction.
 11 And thou didst hear me because of mine afflictions and my sincerity; and it is because of thy Son that thou hast been thus merciful unto me, therefore I will cry unto thee in all mine afflictions, for in thee is my joy; for thou hast turned thy judgments away from me, because of thy Son.
 Prayer is a powerful tool that we have to get the help we need from God.  Let us not neglect it!

No comments:

Post a Comment